Sunday 24 May 2009

Writing - My Story

WARNING : CHAOTIC WRITING AHEAD.

I sit before my computer, gazing at the blinking cursor upon the screen. Where should I start, I wonder. Writing is pretty much a pleasurable pastime of mine, particularly when I don't have anything other to do than surf Facebook and take a couple of pretty retarded quizzes.

Let's see.... *goes all the way back in nostalgia*.... When did I start writing? Ah! I know now. Back then in high school. I can remember clearly, 2002. I was only a 12 year old back then, studying in the first grade of high school. Seven years may have passed, but I remember that day as vividly as though it was just yesterday.

My teacher, Ms. Theshila (yes I remember her name) came to me with a proposal : to write for the school magazine. To a student who had spent barely 8 months in the school, writing in the school magazine was like... WOW REALLY?  ME? WRITE? FOR SCHOOL MAGAZINE?

And so, I went home, sat down at my desk and began churning out a story. It wasn't too bad, in 40 minutes or so I had the first rough draft of it. The problem was naming it. I vaguely remember considering naming it "Galaztic Wars" or something pretty badass for a 12 year old. However it turned out that I named the composition a simple "Good vs. Evil". Don't ask why, I do not know the reason back then, neither do I know it now.

And so, writing became quite fun. I started the first 2 years of my writing by continuing where I left off in "Good vs. Evil". Looking back at what I wrote then now, I can't help but stifle my laughter. I still have the three notebooks I filled with words back at home even now.

In 2006, I joined the DotA-Allstars forums : http://forums.dota-allstars.com. Of course, I was a total DotA rookie back then. But what interested me wasn't DotA itself, but rather the Fan Fiction subforum. There I met some of the greatest writers I had ever known in my life. First was DeathKnight6034. Then came Paul_V, PrettyPinkPawny, Col. Sharpeye and -madeener etc. Encouraged by them, I started my first ever fan fiction : The Sword Saga - a parodical story about the heroes of DotA. It now lies deep in the abyss of the sub-forum, uncompleted, as I ran into writer's block after the end of Chapter 23.

With my activity in the forums, soon I was given the position of Forum Crew to hold. Then I started writing again in a new style, in a novel entitled The DotA Epic. That I managed to complete, and I still feel pretty proud of myself for that.

When I came to Russia, I promised the people at the forums I would write a sequel to my epic in my summer holidays. However, various things came up, and I was able to start it before the promised time. And then, once again, I ran into the dreaded writer's block. I think my epic is probably rotting away with my saga somewhere in the murky depths of the forum.

And now, I chose to start my own blog, of all things.

As I gaze at the cursor blinking on the screen now, I decided: Screw it, I have another Touhou Roleplay to write out.

No comments:

Post a Comment