Thursday 25 June 2009

RosenKreuzStilette and the One Night Before The Exam

I was reading this blog of this dude called Kev-chan's, and I happened to come across an interesting post. "
RosenKreuzStilette... roughly translates to Rose Cross Stiletto in English. Pretty nice name." I thought to myself. I continued reading, and I found that it was none other than a loli version of MegaMan.

LOLWUT I was in #D-A asking for side-scrolling shooter games like MegaMan five minutes ago, and suddenly I find this? What am I waiting for? Google up the torrent! LIKE RIGHT NOW! As I waited pretty impatiently for the torrent to load, I had a look at the description of the game.

The
"RosenKreuzStilette is the first, and currently only, game created by up-and-coming doujin developer, [erka:es]. Like MegaMari, this game is played exactly like the Mega Man games, however, its setting and cast is completely original."

Hey, that isn't too bad, you know! It's original, yet it has such awesome art. Right, I'm looking forward more to it!

The story as I read: "Thousands of years ago, humans possessed the ability to wield the power of magic, know as "Magi." Since then, however, they had mostly lost that power and only a few were born with such a gift. Those with the power to use Magi, however, were doomed to a life of being feared, hated, and persecuted by the Holy Empire and Orthodox Church. Finally, the Magi users decided to stand up against their opposes and fought a great battle, which ultimately resulted with the Magi users being accepted as part of the Holy Empire's fighting force, known as erka:es (yes, the same name as the doujin group). The persecution of Magi users seemed like a thing of the past, but, to erka:es, it was not forgotten. A few decades later, the game's heroine, a Magi user named Spiritia Rosenberg, returns home to find that all of her friends are waging a "holy war" of sorts, believing that it is their right to use their power to claim dominance and end their persecution once and for all. Spiritia doesn't agree with their way of doing things, and decides to get to the bottom of their sudden madness.
Hmm.. apparently this might differ a bit from MegaMan, or at least I think. Well at least I don't recall the player being able to swap weapons in game, lest say switch color themes for every different weapons.









Depending on which weapon you're wielding you get a different sprite.
Random fact here : If my friends know I'm actually downloading another
bishoujo game like this again, I know for a fact that my best friend will be like, "eii, don't play games like this la...." like what happened when he caught me playing Scarlet Weather Rhapsody. But seriously, I can't help it. DATTE, KAWAII DESHO?! Checking out a few of the screen shots, I guess I did feel a chill up my spine. This definitely wasn't your average MegaMan game. It was a total monster. A monster, rivalable only by Touhou on Lunatic Mode. It was bullet hell at time, and when it wasn't bullet hell, it was intellect hell. Let me show you a sample of bullet hell moments.











You gotta be fast!

And this is when it's not bullet hell.














Guess wut, those platforms Spiritia is jumping on are placed by the player, and they won't stop rising. You have to be fast, and place the platforms at the right timing, for your weapon enrgy (yes, those platforms count as weapons too) is very limited, and is symbolized by the red bar next to the yellow bar.

Like MegaMan, this game comes with its share of awesome bosses.










Freudia Neuwahl










Zorne Sepperin









Trauare Wrede










Luste Teuber











Grolla Seyfarth










Sichte Meister










Liebea Palesch










Schwer-Muta Casasola Merkle











Graf Michael Sepperin





It all ends with a male boss. Quite a perfect way to end it, huh?
Within 2 hours, the torrent is complete, due to bad seeds and various reasons. Right... extract, patch... DONE. Run!

All right. Within 2 minutes into game, I lost all three lives. Bullet hell wasn't terrible, the fact that bullets actually knocked you back a short distance was. Numerous times I found myself shot down in the air, right into an endless fall, losing a life in the process.

The boss fights are just as bad. At least in Touhou you get a hitbox, which means your sprite can be grazed for points, just as long as you don't let any bullet connect with the ominous red dot in the middle of the sprite. In RosenKreuzStilette, you don't. Your whole character sprite is your hitbox, a graze knocks you back a small distance, and takes a healthy chunk off your already short health. It's worse if you're using Grolly instead of Spiritia, I don't know what the game makers were thinking when they made melee characters take more damage than ranged characters. I mean, in any game, the melee heroes will almost be beefier and can tank much more damage than the ranged ones, isn't it?








You know... I really don't remember going through such projectiles in MegaMan.






Writing on crazy stuff, listening to crazy music (Tomatsu Haruka - motto ni hade ne!). Wow, way to kill a night before an exam. If anything, I blame Kev-chan!

1 comment: