Tuesday 6 July 2010

06/07/2010

Practicals started on first of July as they promised. Though the first day was an assembly at the Regional Hospital. After waiting for them for about an hour or so, we got our assigned timetables and places.

My group was assigned to Hospital No. 3. Pretty ideal, considering it was just a 5 minute walk from the hostel to the hospital. The first day I went there, we picked a patient and interviewed her.

Poor lady was hospitalized for angina pectoris. She had a history of diabetes melitus, hypertension, arrythmia, and to top that off she was overweight. Though she looked really young for a 74 year old lady.

The second day, we were given permission to perform injections. Of course, it was to be kept a secret from our dean, otherwise he'd be so totally pissed. The nurses there were kind and polite and often gave us chances to do things. I thought things wouldn't be as bad as I first thought they would be.

Until yesterday. The fourth day of practicals. The nurse was a stubborn arrogant stuck-up bitch who refused to let us touch anything, who refused to let us help. I mean, she was having difficulty carrying an IV drip stand in each hand, and balancing a tray on her wrists, and she wouldn't even let us help her carry the stands?

Another infuriating thing was when I was interviewing a patient, a doctor came in, shooed me out and asked me to close the door. And when I was closing the door I heard her say, "what's with them?" in a haughty tone.

And I learned the lulzy way that not all patients are as nice as the first lady we approached. My friend Prapz was interviewing the patient who was in the next bunk beside mine.

Prapz : How's your family?
Patient : There's only one girl in your group?
Prapz : Uh yeah.
Patient : Are her parents white?
Prapz : Err... they're all Chinese *waves an arm at me* so yeah they''re all white... I guess. So, sir, do you smoke?
Patient : Why? You want to smoke now?
Prapz : .... *stands up and leaves*

Patient now turns his attention to me and my patient

Me : So... what's your name?
My Patient : Slepov Pyotr Nikolaevich.
Prapz's Patient : He's Slepov.
Me : ... What were you hospitalized for?
My Patient : I had a very high pressure.
Prapz's Patient : He's been here for a long time

goes on and on till I'm down to my final question.

Me : Well I guess that's all for today, best of luck and health to you, Mr. Slepov.
My Patient : Thanks. You should follow the path of researching, go work in labs. You'll make a good lab worker.
Prapz's Patient : You know what, you should do cut your hair. It looks horrible.
My Patient : *looks at Prapz's patient* It's OK! No one cares, as long as he's a good doctor!
Me : Thank you Mr. Slepov. *shoots Prapz's patient a dirty look and leaves*

Damn practicals.... so fun yet so boring at the same time. On a random side note, if it were not for practicals, I'd already be home for.... 3 weeks?

No comments:

Post a Comment